Saturday, September 12, 2009

A free Antivirus software

Antivirus software are considered a necessary evil in all windows computers. Necessary because if you don't have one, you will definitely have a virus in your computer before the end of the day. On the other hand, when you do have one installed, it consumes every ounce of resource your CPU can juice out. Norton and McCafee are the most common antivirus software in the world and the most notorious in scanning anything that moves in your computer thus hindering anything you do in your PC. Why these software need to scan every single byte that moves in your PC is beyond me. Norton was so terrible with their hidden firewalls and email scanners (that sent all my legit email to spam) that I would often just uninstall it and risk my computer to viruses just so that I could get some work done. That is until I found this beauty called Avira AntiVir.



This antivirus was like a godsend. It was everything that I wished an antivirus software should be. As a person who loves free software, this was the best because it is free for personal use. When I used it, I immediately felt the difference. It worked seamlessly in the background and I never notice when it scans incoming data. It was so quite in fact that I wasn't really sure that it was working and deliberately went to a "bad" website to test it out; and Avira immediately popped cautioning me that a virus was trying to enter my PC and is denying it access. That was so cool.

If that wasn't enough, the Avira virus database in Germany is updated EVERYDAY. So when the Avira on my computer searches for updates everyday, it always has a new list of viruses to download. The files are just a few kb and take less than a minute to download to my computer. Except for one popup that advertises it's paid versions (Avira AntiVir Premium and Avira Premium Security Suite) for corporations, there is no indication that the Antivirus is running on your computer (except for the taskbar icon of course).

I have always recommended Avira to everyone I meet. It is quite frankly the best free Antivirus software any individual can want. I have to assume that if their free software is so powerful and so awesome, their paid software must be PERFECT. I would recommend any company to give this Antivirus a try and see for themselves how it solves their security problems.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, I'm using Macrovirus-oncall from couple of weeks now and I'm very pleased with it. For one thing it's not as heavy as Norton's antivirus, but seems to do a good job. It updates regularly and they've just released a new 2008 version. Most important of all, it's free. Here's the link.