Thursday, September 29, 2005

Engineering Professionalism

Engineering Professionalism is the name of the new compulsory module for all budding engineers in my Uni. Since I have to take it in order to graduate, I thought, heck...lets just do it and get it over with. I thought it was ok at first; you know....a different module from the norm, with a clearer objective to what you are studying and all that jazz.

But I was wrong. Modules at my place have lots of projects. And, projects work in the following way. You give someone a topic, ask him to either research discuss or whatever...and you ask that person to write a report on it. But...BUT... you always give a guidline as to where the project should end up.

From the projects that I have done so far, my guidlines to the conclusions were as clear as the smogs on London's winter nights. So lucid were they, that I could hardly see the fronts of my outstretched hands. So many times have I fallen into the Thames that I now just stand and wait for the smog to lift(usually after the results come out) so that I can walk again.

The only module that promised a clear day was this, and then....

30% project on "End of the Petroleum Era" submit by 17th Oct. Project must relate to Engineering Professionalism.

And I'm like WTF?!?!?

What the Blo*** H*** does the End of the Petroleum Era have anything to do with Engineering Professionalism????? And I've been trying to find a connection for the past 3 weeks!! My clear day turned from sunshine to smog on my very first step. Now I'm in midstride of my first step waiting for the bloody thing to lift. I don't dare move in case my next step is into the Thames.

Engineering Professionalism...my A**. A module deviating from the norm my A**. Next time some idiot even hints that a particular module is different from the normal, I gonna shove him back into the Thames from whence he came, and make sure he stays down there.

No comments: