Friday, September 25, 2009

Google Sidewiki

Google Sidewiki is the latest addition to Google's tools and services. As a product just released to the world, it is too early to tell whether it will be a success. As an idea though, it is just the thing we the internet users have been looking for. It is quite literally an unbiased review/comment section for every web page on the internet. A consumer need not search the internet for reviews of a particular website. Instead, with Google Sidewiki, he need only click the Sidewiki icon on his Google toolbar to instantly see unbiased reviews of the website he is viewing.


Being an avid internet user, I can say that Google Sidewiki will be used to review not just websites, but the products on the websites too. In fact this is the purpose of such a review/comment section. I myself totally depend on reviews when buying any product. The collective human knowledge gives me the big picture about any product that I want to buy. My decisions based on unbiased reviews on the internet have never gone wrong enabling me to make the best decision possible. Such is the power of the internet. Google Sidewiki now brings that power even closer and more accessible to the average user, and I applaud Google for their clairvoyance in this respect. Since it is still new, the reviews are not sufficient to make informed decisions about products; but once people start depending on Google Sidewiki (which will inevitably happen) the reviews will be in sufficient amounts to make informed decisions using Sidewiki alone.

No comments: